Pakistan, Australia, South Africa dominate IPL auction

January 18, 2010 Leave a comment

NEW DELHI: Players from world Twenty20 champion Pakistan, Australia and South Africa make up half the cricketers on offer in the Indian Premier League auction on Tuesday.

IPL organizers have shortlisted 66 players from eight countries for the auction, with Pakistan, Australia and South Africa contributing 11 players each.

Sri Lanka has nine contenders, while eight players each from England and the West Indies have registered for the lucrative Indian Twenty20 contested by eight franchises.

Pakistan’s Shahid Afridi, Misbahul Haq, Umar Gul, Kamran Akmal, Umar Akmal and Sohail Tanvir competed in the first edition of the IPL in 2008, however the tournament was closed to Pakistani players last year when the Indian government refused to allow them to compete due to political tensions after the Mumbai terror attacks.

The IPL said on its Web site that all the players bought from the auction will be given a one year contract valid till Dec. 31. The contract also includes a Champions League Twenty20 tournament later this year.

IPL Auction player list:

Australia: Brad Haddin, Philip Hughes, Doug Bollinger, Ashley Noffke, Adam Voges, Luke Pomersbach, Clint McKay, Graham Manou, Ben Laughlin, Jason Krejza, Damien Martyn.

England: Tim Bresnan, Eoin Morgan, Robert Key, Anthony McGrath, Monty Panesar, Mark Ramprakash, Graeme Swann, Jonathon Trott.

Pakistan: Shahid Afridi, Misbahul Haq, Umar Gul, Imran Nazir, Rana Naved, Mohammad Aamer, Abdul Razzaq, Kamran Akmal, Umar Akmal, Saeed Ajmal, Sohail Tanvir.

South Africa: Zander de Bruyn, Wayne Parnell, Tyron Henderson, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Rory Kleinveldt, Yusuf Abdulla, Vernon Philander, Johan van der Wath, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Morne van Vyk, Justin Kemp.

Sri Lanka: Nuwan Kulasekara, Nuwan Zoysa, Upul Tharanga, Thissara Perera, Thilina Kandamby, Kaushalya Weeraratne, Chamara Welegedara, Chinthaka Jayasinghe, Chamara Silva.

West Indies : Kieron Pollard, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Daren Ganga, Lendl Simmons, Darren Bravo, Wavell Hinds, Kemar Roach, Sulieman Benn.

New Zealand: Grant Elliott, Lou Vincent, Shane Bond, Nathan McCullum.

Zimbabwe: Murray Goodwin. Bangladesh: Shakib Al Hasan.

Canada: Rizwan Cheema.

Netherlands: Ryan ten Doeschate.

Source : Times of India

Categories: IPL News

Unperturbed Hayden looking forward to play in IPL

January 18, 2010 Leave a comment

MELBOURNE: Most of his compatriots have developed cold feet about playing in the Indian Premier League in the wake of Shiv Sena’s threat but retired opener Matthew Hayden said he is very much looking forward to be part of the third edition of the Twenty20 extravaganza.

Hayden, who represents Chennai Super Kings in the IPL, said he never had problems in India and the country meant a lot for him and his family.

“I can say that I have been welcomed in all parts of India as a brother and friend of the country, which is a great privilege and I’m humble about it. Over a long period of time, I acknowledge, what India meant to me, individually and to my family as well. I’m looking forward with great confidence to playing in IPL,” the towering Australian said.

“In every tour, generally what happens that it is in player’s discretion to decide whether he wants to play or pull out because of personal reasons or other reasons. Obviously the matter now rests in the players’ hands,” Hayden said.

He conceded the players and the Australian Cricketers’ Association were concerned but felt the Aussies would be part of the tournament if the franchisees keep them updated about the security issue.

Australian players’ IPL participation became uncertain after Shiv Sena said they would not allow any Aussie cricketer to play here unless the attack on the Indians did not stop Down Under.

Australian opener Shaun Marsh too was keen to play in India but the left-hander said he would wait for the go ahead from ACA and Cricket Australia.

“It’s obviously a tricky situation. Security has always been an issue in the past but we never had any trouble in India. We have got certain people in place to make sure that it’s safe for us. If they give us the go ahead, we would go.

“I love playing in India and if everything is alright, I’m looking forward to play some good cricket there,” said Marsh, who represents Kings XI Punjab in IPL.

All-rounder James Hopes was not too worried with the development but like Marsh, he too was awaiting a go ahead from CA-ACA.

“I’ve been to India a fair bit now and security has never really been a problem for us. We get looked after pretty well and, touch wood, I’m hoping to go there for the whole IPL this year,” he said.

“Every time CA and ACA decide whether a tour is safe for us and it would not be any different this time. The security people are assessing the situation and if they tell us to go, we would go,” he said.

Source: Times of India

Categories: IPL News

Flintoff ruled out of IPL after further knee surgery

January 15, 2010 Leave a comment

LONDON: Andrew Flintoff has been ruled out of this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL) after another operation on his troublesome knee that is expected to sideline him for about six months.

The Lancashire all-rounder has been out of action since undergoing a micro-fracture operation on his right knee after retiring from Tests having helped England regain the Ashes last year.

After an arthroscopy operation this week, the 32-year-old will not now be fit to play for the Chennai Super Kings in the IPL, which runs from March 12 to April 25.

“It is disappointing not to be able to play for Chennai, who have been very supportive throughout my time with them, but I took this decision because I love playing cricket and want to give myself the best chance of extending my career,” he said.

Flintoff rejected a central contract from the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) in September but said he intended to carry on playing One-Day Internationals and Twenty20s.

The operation means he will also be unavailable for the Twenty20 World Cup in West Indies from April 30 to May 16.

Once he recovers from surgery, however, Flintoff said he now wants to play all forms of the game for his county.

“My goals have changed since last summer,” Flintoff told Lancashire’s website. “I trust the surgeon, Andy Williams, implicitly and he is very pleased with the progress of the micro-fracture operation.

“When I first had the operation I did not think I would be able to play anything other than One-day cricket, but the news of my recovery has led me to believe I may play in all forms of cricket for Lancashire.

“First and foremost I have to prove to myself that I can regain my fitness and perform for Lancashire,” he added.

“My first love remains playing for Lancashire and I want to help them win trophies and hopefully I can help achieve that later this summer.”

Flintoff is confident he will eventually return to action with England as well as Lancashire.

“I have worked extremely hard over the last few months to get to this position and realise there is a lot more hard work in front of me if I want to return and play international cricket again,” said Flintoff.

“But if I am going to go through another six months of hard rehabilitation and training for long hours, I need a big incentive to be the driving force of that and playing for Lancashire and England again will become that”, he added.

Source : Times of India

Categories: IPL News

IPL used flimsy grounds to keep Pak players out: Minister

December 9, 2009 Leave a comment

Miffed with the Indian Premier League’s refusal to allow Pakistani players’ participation for the second year in a row, Federal Minister for Sports Aftab Shah Jillani said the event’s organisers have used “flimsy grounds” to “snub” his country’s cricketers.

Jillani described the denial of permission to play in IPL III as an “insult” to Pakistan.

“If the IPL didn’t want our players to take part in the tournament why did they bother to even ask the cricket board to furnish all government clearances for the players,” Jillani said.

He said the sports ministry had worked overtime to get clearances from the foreign and interior ministries for the PCB.

“We did our part because we wanted our players to take part in the IPL this time. But I am afraid the way the IPL has snubbed our players on flimsy grounds is an insult to us,” Jillani added.

He said it was about time, the Pakistan Cricket Board stopped “pandering to the Indian cricket authorities and showed more independence”.

“I don’t think we should be running after the Indian board or events now. Because they don’t appear interested in responding likewise to us,” the minister said.

IPL commissioner Lalit Modi announced yesterday that Pakistani players would not be able to take part in the next season of the league because the PCB had failed to get visas for them by the given deadline.

Modi said since the IPL has already twice extended the deadline for submitting all documents, there was nothing more he could do now.

Jillani said he couldn’t understand how the PCB could arrange visas for the players when the IPL had not done anything to get a green signal from the Indian government.

“We want to normalise sporting ties with India that is why our ministry allowed our squash and table tennis teams to go to India this year because we don’t believe in mixing sports with politics,” he stated.

Pakistan’s flamboyant allrounder Shahid Afridi, however, considers the non-participation of Pakistani players in the IPL as a blessing in disguise.

“It is disappointing that once again we can’t play in the IPL but at the same time it also means that our players can now focus totally on preparations for the Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies,” Afridi said.

“Obviously we wanted to play in the IPL it is a major event but I just think maybe the Indians could have been more cooperative with us in given circumstances,” added Afridi, who is Pakistan’s T20 captain.

Afridi said not having Pakistani participation was not good for IPL either. “They could have done a bit more to ensure our participation in the event,” he said.

Source : Hindustan times

Categories: IPL News

Ganguly back as KKR captain, Whatmore appointed coach

November 7, 2009 Leave a comment

KOLKATA: Former India captain Sourav Ganguly on Friday returned as the Kolkata Knight Riders’ skipper for next year’s Indian Premier League,

Sourav Ganguly

replacing New Zealand’s Brendon McCullum.

The controversy-ridden IPL outfit, which finished at the bottom of the table this year, also named Dav Whatmore as its new coach with Delhi Ranji coach Vijay Dahiya as his deputy. Pakistani pace legend Wasim Akram was appointed the mentor of the side.

“Andrew Leipus and Adrian le Roux have been appointed physiotherapist and team trainer respectively,” the team management said in a statement.

“The KKR management held several meetings over the past few weeks to discuss and plan the way forward for the franchise and the team. After weeks of careful deliberation, keeping in mind the vision and ideals of the team, the KKR management has appointed Dav Whatmore as the new team coach,” the management said, adding Ganguly played an instrumental role in the entire process.

“KKR is looking forward to an exciting and successful season ahead with the new appointments and strategies in place. I am excited at the prospect of working with Dav and the entire team closely in addition to playing at our home ground once again,” Ganguly said.

Insisting that Ganguly’s position as captain is not merely ceremonial, the outfit said the former India skipper would be the “key driving force” who would “shape the cricket team” and “would be responsible for all cricket related decisions with regards to the 2010 season.”

After leading the team in the inaugural IPL, Ganguly fell out with the then coach John Buchanan, who first mooted the “multi-captaincy” idea, which did not find favour with the management.

McCullum led the side in the second IPL but came a cropper.

Hailing Whatmore’s appointment, KKR co-owner Jay Mehta said, “Dav has the right vision not only for the team, but for each of the players, and for the franchise as a whole. He is very aware of our current position in IPL and knows that there is only one way to go now–up.”

Whatmore, on his part, said he was looking forward to working with Ganguly.

“I am optimistic about the season ahead and have the utmost faith in Sourav, the team, and KKR Management and look forward to a successful tournament. I will be working closely with the team to continue building KKR into a successful franchise both on and off field,” he said.

Categories: IPL News Tags: , , ,

BCCI has reservations over IPL expansion plans

November 7, 2009 Leave a comment

NEW DELHI: IPL commissioner Lalit Modi’s plans of expanding the Indian Premier League (IPL) in 2011 have been put on hold, for the moment.

Lalit Modi

The BCCI, at the working committee meeting held during the fourth India-Australia ODI at Mohali, has asked Modi to scrutinise and rework the expansion plans due to a number of “reservations” by board members and the franchisees. The initial plan for 2011 edition is to increase the number of teams to 10 and number of matches to 94, from the existing eight teams and 59 games.

The BCCI members are concerned about Indian players getting injured due to “too much cricket” and also about Indian wickets losing the juice due to over-usage. “They also want to ensure that too much cricket does not lead to fan fatigue,” revealed a BCCI source. Their reasoning is that expanding the IPL would mean more matches, which would result in more injuries.

Modi, when contacted by TOI, denied that he has been asked to put expansion plans on hold. However, he admitted that there are reservations within the BCCI. “It’s untrue (that I have been asked to cap the expansion plans). Yes, some working committee members have reservations but it’s not about the expansion… It’s about the modus-operandi with respect to the expansion. They are not happy with some of the factors in the expansion plan. Therefore, I will review it and present it in the next working committee meeting. Hopefully, there won’t be any more problems regarding it.

“To say that the members have refused to expand is wrong. The proposal to expand was approved at IPL’s governing council meeting held in Mumbai early this year. So the question of not going ahead with the expansion doesn’t arise. As far as I’m concerned the expansion plan remains as it was… I’m going ahead with it.”

Sources told that Modi has also been asked to talk to franchisees about their reservations. Some franchisees don’t want new teams to be added to the existing eight as new teams would “eat into their share of the pie”. “Modi has been asked by the BCCI to talk to the franchisees because they are unhappy about the expansion. The franchisees, especially Mukesh Ambani and Shah Rukh Khan, don’t want to share their profits with new entrants in the IPL. This expansion may happen after 2012, maybe 2013,” said a BCCI source.

Categories: IPL News

IPL team owners enraged after BCCI cuts ties with IMG

August 31, 2009 Leave a comment

High-profile owners of team franchises in the Indian Premier League have reacted furiously to the Indian cricket board’s decision to snap ties with event management company IMG, reports said on Monday.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Saturday terminated its contract with the International Management Group, which helped it launch the lucrative Twenty20 league in 2008.

Business tycoon Mukesh Ambani and Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan, both owners of IPL franchisees, have shot off angry letters to the BCCI.

“I am personally shocked at the unilateral decision of doing away with the services of IMG,” the Times of India quoted Ambani, who owns the Mumbai Indians team, as saying in his letter.

“It is also worrying to me that such a significant decision in relation to IPL has been taken without even so much as consulting the franchises.

“I strongly believe that this decision, if taken forward, will destroy substantial value for all the stakeholders, especially the franchises and dilute the success of IPL in the coming years.”

Kolkata Knight Riders owner Khan said IMG had been “an integral part of the tournament management and its success so far” and questioned the logic of the board in ending the deal.

The BCCI had entered into a preliminary agreement with IMG in 2008 to promote and manage IPL’s affairs. IMG was to be paid 10 per cent of the tournament’s gross revenue as commission.

But the board felt the amount was “disproportionate to services rendered”.

Categories: IPL News